There were 2 health, i.e., body health and mental health agencies. Playing games is one way of restoring the minds who are tired.
While you are playing a fighting game and you need one beat again to bring down your enemy, but suddenly you lost the frame, and you find your hero was losing when you back again. Believe me. It’s so annoying. You play a game to entertain yourself, but you end up with stress.
Have you ever feel that unpleasant experience? Lag can be a severe problem for people who are trying to make the most of the internet experience, especially for those who play games over the internet. If the bitter experienced happened to you, then you want to find a way to improving your lag and increase your internet speed in gaming.
Yes, you are in the right way. Here are five helpful ways to get rid of lag and increase your internet speed.
1. Speed Up Your Speed
15-20Mbps internet speeds are quiet enough for gaming. That’s because latency has a more significant effect on your lag rather than the speed. However, you may have other devices in your home that connected to an internet connection. If some people in your home use them for streaming music, watching movies, and one other is working at home, or having another large internetwork, these all make your bandwidth hogging. All network connections have limited bandwidth. In this case, you will look for internet connection more than 20Mbps.
The most important thing about gaming is making sure your connection almost lag-free. Fiber broadband speeds offer features you need to get best gaming experience with the more stable internet connection. You can consider find best wifi router to boost up you internet connection.
2. Consider to Use a Wired Connection
If you want to quiet enjoy your gaming time, avoid connecting your console or desktop PC to the internet through Wi-Fi, why? Because it limits the bandwidth for you. Wi-Fi should be connected to your other devices like smartphones, laptops, tablets, etc. to daily usage.
Since wireless network traffic is sent right through the air, it sometimes can be lost, and then it will make a noticeable lag. To improve your download speeds and reduce lag, consider using an Ethernet cable. This is one of the most effective investments you can make. Also, it’s also one of the cheapest to improve your connection. You will get at least 10x faster speeds than Wi-Fi connection. However, if Wi-Fi is just the only one choice for you, get closer to your router as close as possible.
3. Test Your Internet Speeds
Bandwidth hogging can affect your online gaming speed. Therefore, it is advisable to check whether you are experiencing bandwidth hogging or not. A simple speed test can help with this. You can test your internet connection to know what speeds you are getting. Use your computer, smartphone or tablet to do the test.
It’s advisable to do the test at least three times to get an average estimation of your upload and download speeds. For gaming, download speed is more considered. So focus on download speed instead. If the download speed is found under 10Mbps, it might signify a problem, and then you are going to get lag.
4. Improve Line Connectivity
If your internet connection is not using fiber network, you can do these things to improve your line connectivity, on the whole:
Use microfilters on the line that runs from the wall jacket to your phone and modem. This way effectively reduces unwanted noise on the phone line.
If you have a router that’s ancient in looks and functionality, consider replacing it as soon as possible with a recommended brand from your provider.
To reduce obstacle from other sources like mobile chargers, microwave ovens, wireless speakers, etc., move your modem away to the quiet place.
5. Test Latency or Ping
You need to run a ping test to determine your broadband internet connection quality. How to test?
- Click Start and get on to the Search (symbol of a magnifying glass) at the bottom left corner of your screen.
- Type Run.
- Moreover, then type “ping [Your gateway IP] –t.” Press Enter and finished.
You can also use the most popular speed test tool, http://www.pingtest.net/.
Then, check the result:
- Latency in the range of 1-30ms is excellent and should be an optimal connection for gaming purposes.
- Latency in the range of 31-60ms is good enough. You may have a bit of lag in the game, but it doesn’t have a significant matter, it won’t be that noticeable for you.
- Latency in the range of 61-100ms bring some issues in your gameplay. You may experience lag more often.
- The latency of 100ms and higher than that is horrible. You should not be playing games at this level.
What is a good internet speed for gaming?
A good internet for gaming it shouldn’t have a high number of ping and run at reasonable speeds between 15-20Mbps or more than 20Mbps if your internet connects with many devices.
Try these trial and error process to help you get the best performance of internet connection:
Trial and Error Process to Fix
- Close all other opened programs that are running on your computer at the same time. Also, make sure that you don’t have any active downloads running.
- Check whether anyone in your household is running bandwidth hogging or not (like Netflix or game online), remember any bandwidth intensive programs running on your network will affect performance on the network.
- Try the oldest trick, turn your router off, unplug the cables, wait for a few minutes, and then switch on again.
- Enabled NAT Boost option.
What is NAT boost?
NAT is network address translation. Enabled NAT boost to make the router have the best throughput. The bandwidth control can take effect if the NAT boost is disabled. So, it’s advisable to enable NAT boost for the best performance.
When you have tried all the way, but you still get a high ping rate, call your broadband provider. If it doesn’t work enough, try to change provider.